Gain the knowledge to ensure patients are treated in a safe and healthy setting.
In this POLHN self-paced program, you will learn the basic concepts required to detect health care associated infections, and to prevent and manage outbreaks.
This course begins with the basics of health care associated infections and epidemiology, before explaining what precautionary actions should be taken. Finally, you will be taught how to manage outbreaks.
What will you learn?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain health care associated infections (HCAIs) and antimicrobial resistance, contributing factors, costs and impact
- Apply appropriate steps to break the chain of infection and reduce health care associated infections
- Use correct infection prevention and control measures including standard and transmission-based precautions
- Adopt best practices in collecting, labelling, transporting and reporting on specimens for laboratory analysis
- Apply epidemiological principles and best practices in surveillance and outbreak detection and management
- Assess and take steps to improve infection prevention and control in health care settings.