Learn the essentials of the Mental Health Gap programme, which aims to scale up care for mental, neurological and substance abuse problems.
In this POLHN self-paced program, you will learn the basic concepts required to address and manage mental health issues, some of the leading causes of disability and mortality.
This course begins with an introduction to what the mental health gap is and why it is such an important topic. Next, students will go deeper into the different mental health conditions that exist, before ending with how to deal with issues such as suicide and epileptic seizures.
What will you learn?
At the end of this course, you will have developed certain competencies regarding the mental health gap, including:
- Establishment communication and building trust;
- Identification of different mental health conditions;
- Identification of underlying physical conditions;
- Protecting the user from harm;
- Establishment of basic psychological support;
- First-line medication treatment;
- Brief motivational interventions;
- Management of clinical emergencies; and
- Following up and referral