This course is designed for those who have already been hired as a food inspector. It is designed to supplement local preparatory training.
In this POLHN cohort-based program, you will learn to effectively evaluate the safety of a food establishment against your country's food safety benchmarks
This course begins with an overview of food safety and your role as a food inspector. Next, you will be taught about foodborne pathogens and facility design. Finally, you will learn about your specific role as a food inspector and what to do when there is a food-borne outbreak.
What will you learn?
At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Access WHO data on foodborne illnesses;
- Employ your organisation's food establishment safety checklist with more confidence and skill;
- Explain the "whys," with the scientific background or justification, for the items on the typical inspection checklist;
- Really "see" with greater clarity the behaviours, processes, and physical items that can be an issue for safe food production;
- Issue a completed, professional assessment for a food establishment business; and
- Provide food establishment food safety improvement coaching where allowed by your agency.